Some Kind of Courage by Dan Gemeinhart
I did not enjoy this book for several reasons.
- It’s boring. So incredibly boring.
- It’s written in dialect… sometimes. It’s really inconsistent. I do not like middle grade books that are written in dialect because that’s the age we’re teaching grammar to kids and then we give them a book that (sometimes) uses improper grammar. It’s one thing if it’s just the dialog, but this was the whole book (but only sometimes).
- The plot is dumb. It just is.
- Most of the action is incredibly boring. Even when it was supposed to be exciting, it wasn’t. It had a few moments that were at least a little interesting, which is the only reason I didn’t give it one star.
- It’s supposed to be historical fiction, but the whole thing is really unbelievable.
- I could not work up the least bit of sympathy for any of the characters. I really did not like the main character. He was super annoying. I was mildly curious about the Chinese boy’s bird figure, but that turned out to be quite anti-climactic.
This is definitely a book I recommend skipping.
2 (out of 5) Stars
Books Read in 2021: 61
Pages Read in 2021: 18,869